Saturday, August 21, 2010

sepia saturday

Browsing through some old photos the other day, I found these.



This is my father, George. He was born at the end of 1914, so would have been 24 at the start of WW2. This picture was taken in London in 1939. He held the rank of Corporal.



George spent part of the war in India and was attached to the Indian Army. He's sitting in the front row, third from the right.

He seems to have travelled through the Middle East, parts of Africa and around the Mediterranean too. I've got loads of tiny little photos - pictures of Jerusalem, of the sea, of camels and the pyramids. I'll try and scan some more on to the computer!

By the end of the war, he'd worked his way up to Captain. My father described the war as the happiest time of his life (I'm not sure how much actual combat he was involved in) and I'm not sure he ever completely readjusted to Civilian life.

2 comments:

Brian Miller said...

hmmm...that last line makes it sound like there is a story behind it...

Betty said...

Hi Brian. Yeah, there is. But it's a long one ...