Sunday, April 18, 2010

a momentary lapse of reason



In my early teens I could often be found browsing through the album covers in my local record shop. I could seldom afford to buy anything, I just liked to look at the artwork.

One of the 1st albums I bought was Dark Side of the Moon. (I say, "one of the first", because I have to confess that probably the 1st album I bought was David Cassidy's Cherish! Anyway, I got over that little crush in a year or so and then discovered Prog Rock.)
I loved the prism on the cover. It was striking and very different from Roger Dean's fantastic swirls and curves which adorned the albums of Yes, among others. The artist is Storm Thorgerson.

And today we visited the Idea Generation Gallery in Shoreditch, East London to see an exhibition of his work.



Over the years my music collection has grown, but I've been disappointed that, with the advent of CDs, the cover art has taken a smaller second place. Here they were in print form: the crawling figures from Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy, Peter Gabriel sitting in a car in the rain, the man in flames from Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here and the flying figures from Muse's Absolution.



We chatted with the artist himself, bought a print and watched body painting.




The print we bought was A Momentary Lapse of Reason (Pink Floyd again!), which seems an appropriate title as today is our 29th wedding anniversary!
I'll take a photo and post it when the print arrives.

2 comments:

Chris Wolf said...

Congratulations on the anniversary! enjoyed the tour of the museum with you!

45645646546565 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.